About Me

My photo
I'm just a girl in the world.

check out my pictures here

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Emily Fancher. Make your own badge here.

Thursday, February 14, 2008

So long, farewell, Auf wiedersehen, adieu...

I can’t believe that I’ve already been here for about three weeks. Well where should I start? “Let’s start at the very beginning, it’s a very good place to start. When you read, you begin with A, B, C. When you sing you begin with doe, ray, me.” I’ve had that song in my in the background of my mind, playing over and over again, for the past three days. I’ve been introducing music to Ella, the eldest daughter, nine years of age. I don’t think I quite had a grasp of how much older I was, until I tried to remember what it was like when I was first in a choir music setting. I wanted to put myself in her place, and understand how frustrating it was to learn the basics. As far as I can remember, which is pretty far, I was singing. I was told, by my parents, that I used to sing myself to sleep, before I could even speak. So I thought, what better way to introduce Ella to music, than to teach her the basics from the musical about music. Plus, it was a pretty easy song to teach her on the faux keyboard on ‘Leap Pad’. Later on we will have a real keyboard for her to practice on. She has a great passion to learn, not only music in general, but especially piano. With the passion and dedication that this girl has, she will go far!

This experience so far has already been very influential on my life, and it hasn’t even been a month. I can only imagine what God has for the rest of the time that I’m here for. Not only has it completely changed my schedule around, but also it’s forced me to be disciplined with how I spend my time daily. If I wake up too late, I have to deal with the consequences of not spending time on myself. I know that everyone else’s schedule doesn’t revolve around mine, so it’s my job to adjust to theirs. Even though I’ve never really cared too much about weather I wear make-up or not, my previous jobs made me feel as if it was a necessity. Now I’m really putting into perspective of what is the most important part of my day. My focus is helping the family that I’m staying with. So I try to be helpful in whatever way I can be.

I was writing earlier today in my journal about how funny God works sometimes. I was told a while ago, that usually the thing that you are most worried about doing, or experiencing, is usually the thing you will do, or be, the best at. The enemy likes to trick us into believing that we are worthless, and inadequate, usually in the subject that we are the most adequate at. Before coming to Brasil, I was doing a lot of praying, and worrying, about how adequate, and capable, I was for the things I would be doing here. So far I am only comforted in the thought that, this is exactly the thing I am supposed to be doing right now, and even though I wasn’t necessarily trained for this experience, God will prepare me for it all. I am always at peace when I think about the fact that God doesn’t always use the most qualified, but He uses the willing.

So let me share with you some of the experiences that I’ve had, and quotes from the girls, over these few weeks. I was told, by Brin, that eventually my body will get used to the bugs, and won’t react to them after awhile. Well I believe that I had about at least 40 bites, from different creatures, on my right leg alone. I think they prefer my right leg for some strange reason. Lately I haven’t noticed as much itching, or red marks. I think I was starting to look like a leper.

I like to ask the girls what they are doing every now and then, because I’m interested in their response. One day I saw Mia, the three year old and youngest of three daughters, playing with a girl’s hair, and I asked her what she was doing. She plainly stated, “I’m looking for lice!” As it is, and I’ve been warned, if I have the choice between holding a baby or not, I’ll probably hold the baby, and also if I have the choice to hug someone or to decide not to, I’ll hug them. So it is very likely, that if I choose to be friendly, which I probably will, I will most likely get lice while I’m here. I was told the same in relation to getting sick from drinking the water and shaking hands with certain people. There is a good chance that I’ll get a stomach virus of some sort while living here.

The worst thing that I’ve come across is a lime peel, or at least that’s what we think the cause of it is. After being here for a week, I started noticing bumps on my lips, and I thought it could have been a food allergy, or some other allergy. Within the past week, it has progressively worsened. Yesterday I met with Tim, a missionary who is also a doctor, which is such a huge blessing. He gave me a topical steroid crème to put on my lips, and within the first application I noticed a difference. After discussing different options, we both came to the conclusion that it is most likely that I have contact dermatitis from eating a piece of a lime. For some strange reason the peels here, even on the oranges, are extremely acidic. Brin had a lemon, that was sprayed, and it left a nasty burn on her arm, for two months. She told me that she now wears gloves, while making lemon aid, just to be safe, even if that wasn’t the cause. My lips are now almost completely healed, in only a day in a half. Praise the Lord!

To all who do not know, I’ll be heading, somewhat south, to Salvador on Tuesday. I’m going with the Pflederers, the family I’m staying with in Brasil. We’ll be living there for about five weeks. Josh and Brin Pflederer are going to be taking a Portuguese class, to further their education on the language, along with a few of the other missionaries here. I’ll be watching the girls and doing home school with them while I’m there. God knew that I needed this first month to get adjusted to the culture and this new family of mine. It’s been an answered prayer that the girls seem to be getting used to me, and seemingly liking me despite my needing to discipline them at times.

Ok, here are some of the quotes that I thought were entertaining. Both Mia and Ava, the five (almost six) year-old daughter, asked me “are you pregnant?” I said, “No I just need to loose some weight” I didn’t take offense, because they are so young, but I told Brin about it because I thought it was funny. She told me that they are used to seeing these stick thin girls from Brasil walking around.

Peanut butter isn’t a normal item you can purchase here, so whenever it’s around, it is a treat. One day we were all eating, and I asked Mia “Do you like peanut butter?” Her response was “No.” I replied “Why not?” She said “because it has peanut butter in it!” I asked again “well what don’t you like about peanut butter?” Mia said “Yeah..”

I thought that it was such a classic response, and one I could imagine myself saying when I was her age.

The other day I was sitting in my room, and I overheard Ava having a conversation with our neighbor Ana, who is three years old.

This is how it went “I want lip lip!” declared Ana.

“you can’t have any, because that’s Ella’s lip lip” stated Ava.

“I want lip lip! Lip lip!” replied Ana.

“well, I had some lip lip, but it’s not here. I gave it away. I sent it to China.” Ava said, confident in her response.

I couldn’t help but laugh out loud after that last one! They were referring to lipstick, or more likely, lip gloss.

Sometimes Mia likes to tell me things, in just a way, that will allow her to get what she wants. All three of the girls love to get their nails done, and they love that I have so many different colors to choose from. So one of the days that Mia was so eager to have her nails done, she came up to me and said “my mom says that I need to always have my nails painted, everyday!”

Another day Mia was so determined about the next country she wanted to live in. She told everyone who was around, “I want to move to Africa, where the snow is!” We found out later that she was actually talking about America.

Mia likes to play hide and seek with me like this, “Emily, close your eyes. Now open them. Now say, where’s Mia?” If I find her too easily, she asks “why is you not take longer to find me?”

One last one, when Ava and Mia were stating that I’m not an adult, I’m a teenager. I told them that I wasn’t a teenager, and asked them to guess my age. They guessed low twenties, mid-twenties, and when I kept saying no, they finally stated “30!” You can guess how much I loved that response.

Thanks to all of you who have been keeping me in your thoughts and your prayers. I know that I’m being thought of and prayed for, because everything about this trip so far has been so smooth and easy going. I know God has His hand on this time in my life, and has a purpose for my being here. I’ll do my best to keep you updated on my experience here, along with stories and quotes to share with you all. I’ll also include some pictures, and links to videos I’ve taken of the girls and I on my camera. Hopefully each blog won’t be THIS long! I apologize for that. For everyone who has read this much, is truly amazing! I hope you enjoyed it, and that you continue to keep my family and I in your prayers.

Please pray that my family has peace and comfort while I’m gone, and that they remain healthy and safe. I don’t want to worry about them while I’m away. Also pray for my health and safety as well. This whole adventure will fly by I’m sure, but any little discomfort can be a distraction from what I’m hoping to accomplish while I’m here. I’m thinking of all of you, missing you, and praying for you as well. I can’t wait to come back and see you all and share many more details from my trip.

With His great love,

Emily Fancher

6 comments:

shutterthink said...

I read it all! Woo-hoo! Thank you for such a comprehensive update. I love those girls and feel like I was right there with them as you described those stories. I KNOW the Lord is really going to use you and change you. I look forward to hearing more.

Love you,
Nick

Unknown said...

Hi Emily!

I loved it! Gosh it sounds so amazing! I think about you everyday and wonder what you are doing. It's so funny cause one of the little girls I watch is named Ella too. She is three and a half but thinks she's ten! The name Ella is really becoming popular again, I know another three year old with the name too. Weird considering it was my grandmothers name. Ella, I and her little sister Lucia have alot of funny conversations too. Little kids are great! You go girl...you know how I feel about bugs and more power to you to be handling all of that so well! Although you have always been brave about stuff like that. I'm reminicing on our spider incident in Haiti. Ha ha. Well I miss you too and can't wait for your next update!

~Bethany

Milenamarija said...

Emily,
I miss you, and that's a very good place to start....haha, I loved that you wrote those lyrics in your blog! Hey sorry this is late, but HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!!!! You're in Salvador right now, how exciting! Man I know you're having a blast. I'm at school so I tried to watch your videos but I guess I don't have sound but it was cool to see you in a video...I'm going to watch them at home so I can hear your sweet voice! :) Carlo and Charles are so jealous of you because in Salvador there is this dance/martial arts thing, I forget the name of it but they think it's awesome, so you're lucky. Maybe you'll get to see a performance or whatever of it while you're there.
Hey I really like your hair curly. You really look cute! :) Well I will talk to you soon sweetie, I Love you! :)

davesonya said...

Emily,

As the band-directing uncle of those three little sweeties, I expect a lot more music lessons! Thanks for the investment you are making in their lives.

Dave

geyerba said...

Hi, this is Ben and Joanna Geyer, a couple of Josh and Brin's friends from Tremont. This is one of the best posts we've read for a long time. You captured the memories so well! We miss the Pflederer family, and you help us stay in touch with the smaller details of life that we love to hear about. Hang in there!

deb said...

I have so enjoyed these updates. Remember, greater is He that is in you than He that is in the world.
Love, mom